--- On Sun, 1/9/11, Matthew Boutilier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Me--
> > Odd. It says I have a general American accent....,

The correct word is "neutral", as others have quoted.

> does anybody know which mergers/contrasts characterize
> general american
> english?  allegedly, if i learned to distinguish
> "stock" and "stalk" i'd be
> more cosmopolitan (not that that's the goal!).

Probably that one (cot-caught), plus father-bother merger, and merger of all three Mary-merry-marry. And r-fulness of course.  I may have confused issues by admitting that I sometimes use something like "ah" for "I", though that's very fast speech. One thing they didn't ask, and IMO should have, "do you drop the -g of the -ing ending?" I don't.