On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:17:22 +0100, taliesin the storyteller
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 2011-01-14 23:06, Nikolay Ivankov wrote:
>> Well, I have been working on a similar language for a while, with the three
>> states You mentioned being the cases of the object.
>>
>> man.LOC garden.TO = "a man went to the garden"
>> man.LOC garden.IN = "a man was in the garden"
>> man.POS pancake.FROM = "a man waned/was searching for a pancake"
>>
>> In addition I liked to have some kind of partitive case, for having
>>
>> man.LOC garden.PART = "a man was near the garden"
>> man.POS tea.PART "a man had some tea"
>
>Why does the translation use past tense? My Taruven also does this,
>(using TO, FROM, AT, INSIDE, OUTSIDE) but it has regular verbs in
>addition, and a translation would use the present tense.
>
>brenru sai`ilny: the car is driving along the riverside
>
>http://taliesin.nvg.org/taruven/nouns.html#locative

It's curious you both use the term "locative" for this.  That's not the
usual meaning; usually man.LOC would be "in/at a man", not "a man is in/at
something".  What this is if anything is an inverse locative.

Is this a use of "locative" I just haven't heard of, or an independently
recreated neologism?

Alex