On Jan 15, 2011, at 10◊50 AM, Alex Fink wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:17:22 +0100, taliesin the storyteller
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-01-14 23:06, Nikolay Ivankov wrote:
>>> Well, I have been working on a similar language for a while, with the three
>>> states You mentioned being the cases of the object.
>>>
>>> man.LOC garden.TO = "a man went to the garden"
>>> man.LOC garden.IN = "a man was in the garden"
>>> man.POS pancake.FROM = "a man waned/was searching for a pancake"
>>>
>>> In addition I liked to have some kind of partitive case, for having
>>>
>>> man.LOC garden.PART = "a man was near the garden"
>>> man.POS tea.PART "a man had some tea"
>>
>> Why does the translation use past tense? My Taruven also does this,
>> (using TO, FROM, AT, INSIDE, OUTSIDE) but it has regular verbs in
>> addition, and a translation would use the present tense.
>>
>> brenru sai`ilny: the car is driving along the riverside
>>
>> http://taliesin.nvg.org/taruven/nouns.html#locative
>
> It's curious you both use the term "locative" for this.  That's not the
> usual meaning; usually man.LOC would be "in/at a man", not "a man is in/at
> something".  What this is if anything is an inverse locative.
>
> Is this a use of "locative" I just haven't heard of, or an independently
> recreated neologism?

Not sure about the terminology, but I understand the system. I'm
guessing it works like this:

man.X house.IN = "The man is in the house."
man.X garden.AT = "The man is at the garden."
man.X table.ON = "The man is on the table."

man.Y house.IN = "The man goes into the house."
man.Y garden.AT = "The man goes to the garden."
man.Y table.ON = "The man goes onto the table."

I've done something similar to that before, but I've called the
two cases "Essive" and "Lative".

-David
"Sunlü eleškarez ügrallerüf üjjixelye ye oxömeyze."

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/

LCS Member Since 2007
http://conlang.org/