On 2011-01-15 20:00, David Peterson wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2011, at 10◊50 AM, Alex Fink wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:17:22 +0100, taliesin the storyteller wrote:
>>> brenru sai`ilny: the car is driving along the riverside

car-LOC river-OUTSIDE-MOVING_NEARBY

>> It's curious you both use the term "locative" for this.

The stuff on "river" in the example is the locative-complex. The stuff
on car, well, I needed some term or other :) and it never shows up if
there aren't also some other noun with a locative-complex in the same
clause.

>> That's not the usual meaning; usually man.LOC would be "in/at a
>> man", not "a man is in/at something".  What this is if anything is
>> an inverse locative.

Double marking, actually. Helps with suffixaufnahme. But -ru could do
with a better term of its own.

Hm, marks the head of a locative clause... Capilocative? Does the
latin-gurus have any ideas?

>> Is this a use of "locative" I just haven't heard of, or an independently
>> recreated neologism?

Dunno.

The Taruven locative-complex system is inspired by Avar. The
suffix-stacking + serial verbs is a bit like Tariana but it was like
this long before I got hold of the reference-grammar for Tariana. (If
you want SVCs and very agglutinative verbs and nouns at the same time,
Tariana is the place to look.)

t.