On 21 January 2011 16:04, Chris Peters <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> And do I remember right that the plural "-j" in Esperanto is a direct
> borrowing from Greek?

Could be Ancient Greek yes, which had -οι /oi/ endings in the plural for
some -ος endings in the singular. Modern Greek has simplified that diphthong
into /i/, but kept the spelling.

>  Is Greek equally hideous?

Eye of the beholder! To me, the Esperanto -oj, and the accusative plural
-ojn, aren't hideous at all! I actually find them nice-sounding endings.

As for the Greek, I don't find Ancient Greek particularly nice-sounding in
general (at least for as far as we understand its pronunciation). I love
Modern Greek though, which I find particularly mellifluous :) .
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/