2011/1/16 Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>

> On 15 January 2011 18:07, Carsten Becker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Did you nick that from German? ;) Because German does something very
> > similar. Dutch probably too, but I don't know the Dutch words.
> >

> Actually, Dutch doesn't. Instead, it has different lexemes, as English
> does.
>

> >    zu = to, towards
> >    sehen = to see
> >    zusehen = to watch
> >

> NL: zien: to see (transitive), kijken: to watch (the complement is
> introduced with naar: "to").
>

> >    hören = to hear
> >    zuhören = to listen
> >

> NL: horen: to hear (transitive), luisteren: to listen (the complement is
> also introduced with naar).
>
> The only similarity is that _kijken_ and _luisteren_ both have a complement
> introduced by the preposition _naar_: to, towards.
>
> A neat thing Dutch does, though, is to have alternatives to _kijken_ and
> _luisteren_ that start with the prefix _be-_. With those verbs, this prefix
> adds a slight sense of intensity or sustained action (but only slight:
> _bekijken_ means something like "to examine", but it can also simply mean
> "to look at" or "to watch". _Beluisteren_ means "to listen intently", but
> also simply "to listen"). But most importantly, it makes those verbs
> transitive (you say: "Ik kijk naar iets" but "Ik bekijk iets": I'm looking
> at something).

Actually Dutch does have the prefix toe- for watching and seeing. The word
"toekijken" does exist, and its means roughly "to stand by watching". Even
"toezien" exists in the phrase "op ... toezien", and it means something like
"to make sure (watching) that ... goes well". The equivalents with listening
do not exist (that I know), however.

Greets,
David

--
Raash te feegatpin: nuukazet nhamaru'eng, shayip büngnetuk seepiit.

http://njenfalgar.4shared.com/