Hi Gabby,

> (In my case, the multiple fragments have now been
> brought together and may even be recorded together in a database, but
> the original accession numbers are still used to record the individual
> fragments [234a and 256b, say], while the text is recorded as "belonging
> to" accession 234a+256b. I suppose one could call that the new idno, but
> it wouldn't be quite right [and would cause lookup problems].)

one thing I forgot: If the fragments were "united" by the institution,
the right encoding of the description would be to use msPart, each
having altIdentifier in the place where msDesc has msIdentifier! Thus it
wouldn't be the structure of msIdentifier you had to keep an eye upon
but the structure of the whole manuscript.

Best, Torsten

--
Torsten Schassan
Digitale Editionen