I'm male, 52, from Toronto but originally from the western USA. My usage is
the same as Karen's: "husband" for male spouse and "wife" for female spouse.
Furthermore, to me, "spouse" is used to refer to a spouse of unknown gender,
as when filling out a form, or as a collective... so a person referring to
their own spouse as their "spouse" would sound odd and affected, as if they
didn't know the gender of their spouse.
--larry