On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 7:27 AM, 1 2 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> - What are the different ways that languages have for rendering this
> idea, for cases in which the subjects are the same (e.g. "I want to
> go") and for cases in which the subjects are different (e.g. "I want
> you to go")?

Japanese uses the tai-form of the verb for the first case, and the
te-form of the verb followed by the adjective "hoshii" ("desired") in
the second. In both cases the first person subject is implicit: in
both cases you are dealing with an i-adjective that expresses a
personal attitude or opinion (hoshii is an i-adjective; the tai-form
of a verb is a derived i-adjective), and those can only be used to
refer to one's own attitudes (since they're the only ones you can have
firsthand knowledge of). To ascribe an attitude to someone else, you
use the garu-form of the adjective.