Jeff Sheets, On 12/02/2011 15:58:
> I've tentatively settled on Raig as the name for my language.  Since I'm a
> lover of simplicity, the letters in Raig will generally correlate to IPA
> characters, so it's pronounced [raig] or some close variation thereof. Raig
> will not only have special words for BDSM and other similar concepts, but it
> will have extra verb moods specific to the context, a preposition to
> differentiate between ownership and simple possession in the genetive, and a
> rich set of honorific and even humiliating speech patterns.
>
> The moods I'm planning to add will focus on ways to request things or show
> desire for something. On one side of the spectrum is the imperative command.
> The other side of the spectrum will be the polite entreaty to a superior,
> with the recognized knowledge that the request may well be refused.

I don't think this in itself necessitates an entire language. I'm sure it would be an emininently useful semantic module for many a conlang. By 'semantic module' I mean 'family of conceptual categories', such as lists of fauna, of kitchen paraphernalia, of gaits, and so forth, are. The conlanger can then lexicalize the concepts in whatever way best suits the conlang.

>> Maybe you should call it a _Domsplang_ or a _Dom. spec. (engelang)_, else
>> surely folk are going to think the 'Dom' isfor 'Dominant'?
>>
>> --And.
>
> Domsplang sounds cruddy to me. Wouldn't bother me if it caught on though. If
> not domlang or domsplang, I'd prefer domainlang, at least then one word of
> the original is absolutely clear.

I don't think the concept of 'domain-specific conlang' is a very compelling one, but I am very taken with the term _domsplang_ or even _dompsplang_, to the extent that the delightfulness of the name warrants finding some category to appellate it to...

--And.