--- On Wed, 3/2/11, Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote: (lotsa snips)

> --- On Mon, 2/28/11, Daniel Bowman wrote:
>
> > > Any ideas what form the (linguistic) conflict
> will
> > take? As well as
> > > how to write it in such a way as not to bog down
> the
> > narrative with
> > > technicalities?

 This is why characters and
> "non-human" races
> in fantasy and sci-fi are pretty much 100% human, when you
> get right down
> to it.

All too true, and I'm guilty of it too.

> I'm assuming that Angayus is earthlike enough so that they
> won't die of
> some horrible disease within a week. Or spread terrestrial
> pandemics
> among the locals! Although, that could serve as an
> interesting side plot.

From my SF reading days (mainly back the 70s) I recall one book-- though not the author or plot....-- involving humans on a planet with bear-like sentients. Two amusing things stood out: the water the humans drank from springs etc. contained a psychotropic similar to LSD. And, one of the humans was dubbed "Dirty Teeth" by the bear-types because she was seen often brushing her teeth. :-)))

> > For example, if I didn't know French, and you spoke it
> to me,
> > and I tried to transliterate it, I would be wildly
> > off.
>
> Well, you can see this to an extent by reading Kreyol
> texts. Clearly the
> sound is French, but the orthography is not exactly
> Parisian!
>
> Indeed. Here, I think you're going to need a compromise.
> Unless one of
> the travellers is a linguistics student (or a conlanger),
> chances are
> good they're going to hear and interpret Angosey VERY
> wrongly. Assuming
> the locals have "normal" vocal apparatus, there's a good
> chance they
> will mishear points of articulation, and will almost
> certainly get any
> tones or lengthening/shortening wrong.
>
> Just try not to make it look like an ugly anglicisation.

"...try **not**... ???? I'd say, definitely make it an ugly anglicization (or hispanicization or whatever) depending on the native language of the humans.  In my original First Steps story, the human protagonist (of Hispanic heritage albeit bilingual in Englsh) heard and transcribed Kash as if it were Spanish; not too coincidentally, the two languages match up pretty well