2011-03-04 23:31, Adam Walker skrev:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 4:12 PM, BPJ<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>
>> 2011-03-04 00:54, Adam Walker skrev:
>>
>> Adn did France
>>> ever have the custom of giving the child both the father's and the
>>> mother's
>>> family name?
>>>

>> Given Fathers surname de Mothers surname apparently saw some use
>> before the revolution. Read about a guy who used that long ago.
>>
>> /bpj
>>

> Really?  That's just the sort of thing I was looking for.  So it is standard
> practice throught Iberia, wasn't unheard of in France and in Italy?  I'm
> still not sure it's the right choice for C-an names, but it is interesting
> to know it wasn't *exclusively* Iberian.
>
> Adam

Except that when _Surname *de* Surname_ is used in Iberia
it's AFAIK a wife using _OwnSurname *de* Husband'sSurname_.
Also easily confusable with noblo names, which was perhaps
exactly the intention in pre-revolution France!

But as I said, it was parenthetically mentioned  propos
I don't remember who in the 17th or 18th century in a book
I read many years ago -- before my son was born IIRC and so
more than 13 years ago. I remember which book it was, so if
it's important to you I can check out the book and check
sometime next week.  Can't request the book until I've
returned an overdue loan, though, so it'll probably be
towards the end of the week.

/bpj