On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 13:10:20 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 8:42 AM, James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Of course adding new words is not a reform, but how can eliminating a
>> whole
>> letter from the alphabet not be a reform?
>>
>> It's not the same as removing the daft hats, as that would mean simply
>> WRITING h^ differently, as hh or hx for example.
>>
>> If I wanted to eliminate the letter h from Ido, would that not be a
>> reform
>> of Ido?
>>
>> And are you saying that the "Foundation" of Esperanto doesn't prescribe
>> what letters should make up the alphabet?
>>
>> This is all very odd IMO.
>>

> Again, you're just inventing things to complain about. Nobody is
> eliminating
> a letter from the alphabet. Nobody has proposed such a thing. This is
> just
> something you made up.
>
> The Fundamento prescribes what letters are in the Esperanto alphabet.
> That
> means that those letter are *available* for any Esperanto word. That's
> all.
> The Esperanto system of writing and spelling includes those letters.
> Even if
> someday every single Esperanto word that has ĥ in it becomes archaic,
> and no
> new word is imported that has ĥ in it, ĥ will still be part of the
> Esperanto
> alphabet. It will still be there, available for any word that needs it.

Even as one who is admittedly not a fluent Esperantist, I have *never*
understood this quibble about the E-0 letter 'ĥ' pronounced /x/. It does
not occur in my native dialect of General American English, but to me it
is almost ridiculously easy to pronounce (just as some anglophones
denounce 'sc', which again is almost ridiculously easy for me to
pronounce, along with E-o 'uj'). Any language, "constructed" or "natural,"
will have something, somewhere, somehow, for somebody, which is not
familiar to some adults. This is just a blunt fact of life, no matter how
much some may rail and complain and cry against it. Anything which is
proposed such that NOBODY, ANYWHERE, BY ANY MEANS, FOR ANY REASON
WHATEVER, WILL NEVER HAVE TO EXERT ANY EFFORT FOR ANY REASON TO LEARN
ANYTHING as an adult simply is an unworkable and meaningless language.
Period!! The best we can do is to minimize -- but not eliminate!! -- the
effort until such time as most young children around the world (pace Mario
Pei) learn the auxiliary language, when adult quibbles are irrelevant.

--
Paul Bartlett