On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 8:42 AM, James Chandler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Of course adding new words is not a reform, but how can eliminating a whole
> letter from the alphabet not be a reform?
>
> It's not the same as removing the daft hats, as that would mean simply
> WRITING h^ differently, as hh or hx for example.
>
> If I wanted to eliminate the letter h from Ido, would that not be a reform
> of Ido?
>
> And are you saying that the "Foundation" of Esperanto doesn't prescribe
> what letters should make up the alphabet?
>

> This is all very odd IMO.

Again, you're just inventing things to complain about. Nobody is eliminating
a letter from the alphabet. Nobody has proposed such a thing. This is just
something you made up.

The Fundamento prescribes what letters are in the Esperanto alphabet. That
means that those letter are *available* for any Esperanto word. That's all.
The Esperanto system of writing and spelling includes those letters. Even if
someday every single Esperanto word that has ĥ in it becomes archaic, and no
new word is imported that has ĥ in it, ĥ will still be part of the Esperanto
alphabet. It will still be there, available for any word that needs it.