quoting Eugene Oh:

> Were you thinking of the vowel height differences?

now that's a possibility.  but then again,
Lat *focus* > Fr *feu*

but then again,
Lat *lacus* > Fr *lac

*the latter example seems to approximate the vowel conditions of Iacomus the
best, although stress could have something to do with it?  perhaps

quoting R A Brown:

> the shift of stress from penultimate to antepenultimate is due to
> contemporary Greek change of pitch to stress word accent

*
... *but i'm not sure whether that helps us.
*
*quoting Adam Walker:

> Not with the splitting alergy headache I currently have.

sorry to hear about that.  there are worse temporary reliefs than
conlanging, i'm sure.

matt