On 2:59 PM, stuart yeates wrote:
> On 06/04/11 05:35, Matthias Einbrodt wrote:
>
>> As for xml:lang I would say there is a difference, because
>  > unlike langUsage and textLang it is not used to denote the
>  > language of a document, but to denote the language of the
>  > textual contents of an TEI-element.
>
> I'm sorry, but are you saying that:
>
> <TEI xml:lang="mi" ...>
> </TEI>
>
> should not be used to denote the primary language of a document? That's
> certainly how we've been using it.

As it happens, I recently filed a SF ticket on a related question:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3263971&group_id=106328&atid=644065

In brief, I think that if a document is in Maori, it would be better to put

xml:lang="mi"

on <text>.  That way you are not implying that your header metatata is
also in Maori.

(I realize that you could use <teiHeader xml:lang="___"> to override the
inherited value from <TEI>, but I think it's good practice to keep the
language of the content and the language of cataloging separate and not
confuse the two by putting @xml:lang on <TEI>.  Indeed, this is the
recommendation that we put into the Best Practices for TEI in Libraries.)

Matthias later wrote that use of @xml:lang on <TEI> implies that the
whole document is in that language, but of @xml:id can be overridden by
the same attribute used on descendant elements.  More on this in my next
message ...