On 03/04/11 23:47, Matthias Einbrodt wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> does anyone know how to properly encode the language of a bibliographic
> reference or better, the language of the document the reference points to?
>
> Regardless of weather using<biblStruct>,<bibl>  or<biblFull>  there
> seems to be no genuine element for this task.

That's right. <bibl> and <biblStruct> are for traditional bibliographic
descriptions, in which the language of the work being described does not
usually figure, except perhaps as a note or a comment on the title,
especially if the work is a translation. As you note, the language of
the title can be specified, and thsat's usually all a bibliographic
description cares about.

However, for manuscript description, the TEI did find it useful to add a
new element <textLang> which I think specifies precisely what you want.
This element is available currently only in the <msItem> or <msContents>
element, but in principle it could also be made available within <bibl>.
If you think it would be useful, I suggest you make a proposal to that
effect on the sourceforge feature request tracker!

  The closest thing I came