2011/4/8 Piotr Bański <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Paul,

Not a vulgar mistake, but a change of perspective of sorts, whereby you
assume that "chapter" and "creed" are unique sequences of characters,
derived from English but used basically in the same way as number-based
values would be, as atomic identifiers of values in a predefined space.

So much for arguing one side, now let me argue the other one: even the
treatment of "chapter" and "creed" as symbolic values doesn't save the
picture, because xml:lang may contain info on the *script* being used.
So if you encode a Cyrillic text and use @xml:lang to indicate that,
"creed" is not a valid value, because it's not in Cyrillic.

This is so very WRONG that "short-sightedness" seems too mild when
thinking of the origin of this rule. OTOH, I wouldn't really ask
questions like "oh gosh, what are we to do now?", because the answer is
that the only way to proceed appears to be to ignore the twisted
attribute-related aspect of xml:lang (much in the spirit of what Lou
wrote). And to possibly mildly watch over the shoulders of XML tool
creators so that they don't get it too deep into their heads to follow
the original Spec literally in this respect. @xml:lang appears to be yet
another thing that is wrong with XML, and we just have to live with it
until something better comes up.

The use case of expressing the language of a given piece of content, independent of the constraints for xml:lang, is important for many XML based vocabularies. The mechanism "langRule" proposed by ITS implements this use case using XPath. See http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#language-information
The Roma services also provides a template "TEI with W3C ITS" including, among others, "langRule" in the TEI header.

Felix

Note that this doesn't close the original debate, it's just a way to do
away with the side issue of attributes being put by force into some
language and/or script. Let's just not bother about it, please, it's
counterproductive and it leads us nowhere. Let's *explicitly* ignore it,
because it's wrong and not worth our time or energy.

Of course this issue should be borne in mind in any discussions on the
future shape of XML.

Best,

 P.