On 4/2/11, Geoffrey King <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 28/03/2011 19:37, Stephen Rice wrote:

>> Since the Golden Age of Auxlanging (late 1800s through early 1900s)
>> was marked by conflict between French and German camps (the true cause
>> of Volapük's demise, IMO), and French lacks this sound, while German
>> has it, I suspect this was another contested point, with the French
>> calling in anglophones for support.
>>
> I'm sure you're right about Volapuk; and I wouldn't mind betting that
> France versus Russia had a lot to do with the creation of Ido.

I hadn't thought about France v. Russia, but it's not impossible. We
tend to ignore the delicate international relations of the period when
we talk about why one auxlang did better than another. Eo might have
done worse if Z had been German; it might have done better if he
hadn't been a Jew. How much anti-Esperantism was actually
anti-Semitism? (In Nazi Germany, a lot; but even ignoring that, Z
should've picked a more popular ethnic group.) Esperantists are about
the only ones who have any idea how important the sociological
dimension is.

Steve