In today's ProJo, not a lot of info the people on this list don't all ready know, but maybe a bit education for the terminally car bound.

Also, check out the shaft-drive chainless drive train.

Mike

http://www.projo.com/lifebeat/content/thrive_pams_col_0516_05-16-11_1TO0FO8_v12.1c85541.html

Opening lines

I used to be jealous of the folks who got to ride their bikes to work. As a suburbanite, and one who used to own only a mountain bike, I never expected to make the 22-mile journey from North Kingstown to Providence and actually perform my job after that.

But I’ve done it.

I now own a nice street bike, lightweight with lots of gears, so that helps. But the real credit goes to Richard Durishin, executive director of the U.S. Open Cycling Foundation –– not only did he ride along with me and guide me through taking the best routes — he also let me interview him about commuting to work by bike and gave me tips on everything from handling traffic, what to wear to bike maintenance.

Amazing to me was how good I felt after the two-hour ride (something I could never say if I had to do two hours in the car each morning). My adrenaline was pumping, but I was neither sore nor exhausted. In fact, I felt exhilarated throughout my work day.

“This is not a workout, this is transportation,” Durishin said to me as we took to the West Bay bike path on the second half of our ride. The pace — an average of 11 miles per hour in our case — isn’t supposed to be racing speed. It’s supposed to get you to work safely with energy to spare.

How it happened from her BLOG  http://fitnessblog.projo.com/2011/05/yes-i-really-di.html

http://www.projo.com/lifebeat/content/thrive_bicycle_safety_tips_0516_05-16-11_6QNU_v15.1c84885.html

http://www.projo.com/lifebeat/content/thrive_dynamic_bikes_0516_05-16-11_T7NT2G0_v14.20d397f.html

Bristol’s Dynamic Bicycles do away with bike chains

05/16/2011 01:00 AM EDT
By Pamela Reinsel Cotter

Journal THRIVE Editor

The rear hub, with enclosed gears, and shaft drive on a Dynamic Bicycle are at left. Below are Devin Kelly, left, owner, and Patrick Perugini, president, of Dynamic Bicycles, the makers of chainless bikes, at their shop in Bristol.

Just about everyone who’s ever been on a bicycle has had their chain fall off at some point. And if you’re riding to work, as so many are now encouraging us all to do, chains can make quite a mess of your commuter clothes.

Bristol-based Dynamic Bicycles Inc. has a solution: the chainless bike. Made with shaft-drive technology like those on a BMW motorcycle, these bikes hide the chain, derailleur and gear mechanism in an internal hub on the rear wheel. The result is a quiet, smooth ride that is cleaner and requires less maintenance, according to its president, Patrick Perugini, and owner, Devin Kelly.

Bike to Brown discussion list: http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/bike-to-brown.html

Bike to Brown website: http://biketobrown.brown.edu/