From: Martin Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
To: robert foley <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, June 10, 2011 12:41:27 PM
Subject: Re: TEI, Digital Humanities, and new start-up

Dear Robert,

Connecticut has a lot of historical documents of a kind that TEI mavens
have played around with.

My first suggestion would be for the staff of any project to see what they
can learn from the excellent TEI By Example project
(http://tbe.kantl.be/TBE/).  I am pretty sure that members of the list
will be happy to answer concrete questions that arise from working through
the tutorials and examples.

I am aware of several projects that you may want to take a look at. The
Office of the Historian at the State Department uses the TEI to encode the
Foreign Relations of the United States. Joe Wicentowski, the man in charge
of this project, uses the eXist database and relies mainly on xquery and a
little Javascript for managing the Website.  Wikibooks explaining this
technology are found at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Xquery and
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XRX.

I believe that the Minnesota Historical Society has played with this
technology.

The Colonial and State Records of North Carolina
(http://docsouth.unc.edu/csr/) are a massive, and, I believe, also eXist
based project of digitizing the early 20th-century multivolume print
edition of several centuries of records.

You may also want to look at your direct neighbour to the East, Rhode
Island, a state with a TEI support network second to none anywhere in the
world. Julia Flanders, the director of the Women Writers Project at Brown,
runs a lot of excellent workshops. Julia Flanders and Scott Hamlin, the
director of technology for research instruction at Wheaton College in
Massachusetts, have worked together on a project called TAPAS, which is an
acronym for TEI Archiving, Publication, and Access Service.

Best

Martin Mueller