Dear all,

I have a question concerning emoticon encoding. I am encoding forums and
chats (using default text and speech modules), and there is plenty of
different characters, which express emotions. Generally one can divide them
in two separate blocks: graphic emoticons (smileys) and typed emoticons
(strings of characters).
I have tried the following elements for encoding them: <g>, <seg
does not seem to be satisfactory.

Has anyone done smiley encoding? If yes, how did You annotate them? Did You
distinguish between different types of emoticons?

Thank You in advance,
Maria Ermakova