Evidentials?  I made them mandatory in Oasa, and it's opened up all sorts of
fascinating stuff.  A lot of stuff I would lump reflexively on the shoulders
of the modals gets shifted to them.  So does a lot of pragmatic stuff ("I
know the location of the theatre DESIDERATIVE" is the polite equivalent of
"What location is the theatre QUESTION.")

Also, on the lexical side, you could always play with your guiding
metaphors.  What set of senses do you prefer for constructing metaphors of
knowledge (do you see clearly, or taste something odd?) for example.

--Patrick

--
I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to
window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.  --Arthur Rimbaud