Recently I have started to consider an idea of creating my own conlang a bit
more seriously. Of course, I'm intending to start with a protolanguage, and
then develop a desired one by sound changes. But SUDDENLY I have found that
I have nearly no idea how the phonetic change has to look like, and, to be
honest, how exactly is it performed. I can have some historical examples in
mind, but no systematic knowledge of more or less common rules. However, I'm
willing to learn.

Would the books on phonology do? If yes, do the ones that are in free
internet access suffice? Or maybe I need more material to make my phonetic
changes plausible.

Thanks!

Kolya