On 23/06/2011 13:22, Nikolay Ivankov wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Matthew
> Martin<[log in to unmask]
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, but the real vicitim of rankings of this kind
>>> is Sindarin, every
>> time.
>>
>> I'm no expert in Elvish (yet), but isn't one a
>> diachronic variation on the other?

If one's going to argue like that one may as well say that
French is just a diachronic variation of Latin!

> Well, not exactly. AFAIK, Quenya and Sindarin used to
> have a common ancestor, with Quenya being more
> conservative.

Correct.  Both Quenya & Sindarin are descended from
'Proto-Elvish'.

> Maybe You are right: since the elves of
> the Middleearth are immortal,

Though Elves can be slain, or die of grief and weariness.

But the point surely is that Quenya & Sindarin are different
languages and not variants of the same one.

--
Ray