On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:42:42 +0100, R A Brown
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> I'm no expert in Elvish (yet), but isn't one a
>>> diachronic variation on the other?
>
>If one's going to argue like that one may as well say that
>French is just a diachronic variation of Latin!

It is! French is Modern Latin, and so is Spanish, Romanian, etc. But not Living
Latin, that's the revival project.  As mentioned elsewhere, Sindarin and Elvish
actually should have been compared to modern Portuguese and French, daughter
languages. But outside of the fictional world, they're still just derivatives of each
other. A really strong analogy would be Esperanto and Ido.

Which ever set of fans arms themselves first gets status as a language. The other
side will become a dialect of Sindarin or Quenya as the case may be.

Matthew Martin