On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Jan van Steenbergen <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Adam Walker skrzypszy:
>
> > And then there is Carrajina, which has taken on a life I never
> > anticipated. It started out as a what-if, inspired by Wenedyk,
> > Kerno and Brithenig.
>
> Wow, thank you for the compliment! :)

Well, it really was those three.  Actually, it was Wenedyk that first caught
my attention as more than amusement.  I hadn't really paid much attention to
Kerno as a language, but had been reading Padraic's posts about it just for
the badgers and such.  Because of Wenedyk, I then started paying more
serious attention to what Padraic was doing behind all the humor, and that,
of course, lead to paying more attention and respect to what Andrew had done
with Brithenig, which was the first of this ilk that I became aware of.  I
really regret my early attitude toward romlanging since I now believe it
would have been great fun to watch Brithenig unfold, of course I had so
little understanding of initial mutations at the time that much of the
discussion would have been glossed over at the time, ah well.

> > I staked out North Africa simply because it was a previously Latin-
> > speaking part of the world no one else had yet explored;
>
> Yeah. Although I vaguely recall there used to be an Afro-Romance conlang
> somewhere out there called "Afar". But that's years ago, and I don't think
> it's even been heard of since.

I believe you are right, but I wasn't aware of that at the time.

> > I had no special attachment to the region.  Then I strated digging
> > into the history of the area for historical justifications for the
> > language, and likely sources of borrowings, and from that a decade
> > long obcession grew that now includes a growing protion of the Bible
> > in translation, several original works of fiction, songs on cd,
> > recipes that form an important part of my diet, greeting cards, art
> > work, a detailed history of over 1000 years, a library of books on
> > the histories, cultures and cuisines of the region, dance forms,
> > music, and the hope that some day a novel will emerge from all
> > this to tell the whole history of this fascinating (to me at least!)
> > country and her people.
>
> Yeah, this sort of things have a way of getting under your skin, don't
> they? :)

They sure do!

> The funny thing is, I never even intended Wenedyk to become anything at
> all. It's just that - inspired by the very phenomenon of romconlanging - I
> started drawing some sketches because I wanted to see for myself what such a
> thing based on Polish might look like, and because I wasn't particularly
> satisfied with the prelimintary results, I started digging into Vulgar
> Latin, Polish sound changes and the like. Thus, it slowly acquired its form.
> Still, I didn't plan on taking it any further than a few sample texts, a few
> grammar tables and a small word list. But I just couldn't stop, and kept
> adding stuff. It kind of got out of control.

How well I understand!

> Now, I haven't worked on it for some three years or so. I don't really
> regret that. Basically, I consider the project finished. I can always add
> more words and/or more texts, but that would inevitably be adding more and
> more of the same. I realise I haven't always been fair to the real Polish
> sound changes, so perhaps one day I'll give it an overhaul.

Well, I for one miss seeing Wenedyk.  I really wouldn't mind a text dropping
from the sky every now and again...

> Why I conlang? Well, quite simply because I feel incomplete when I don't.
> In my case, it's a matter of curiosity. "What if" is my second name, and I
> just love kicking the ball and then watching where it ends... That's
> probably also the reason why I've never felt comfortable with a priori
> conlanging: I always need a clue, a starting point in the real world.

I still love a priori, but I must say that my time spent with Carrajina has
greatly modified how I go about it, and made me rather dissatisfied with
some of my earlier results, which is why I am trying to retcon some of them,
like Graavgaaln, into a more pleasing form.

> Nowadays, all my conlanging time is being gobbled up by Slovianski. Part of
> me regrets that, because at this point, there's hardly any space for
> creativity left. But on the other hand, I've learned incredibly much from
> it, and besides, it's also kind of satisfying when there are lots of other
> people who actually use it. Still, I kind of miss the "real" conlanging,
> though I hope I'll be able to return to that as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Jan

Either way, it's nice to have "oldsters" like you post again.

Adam