Hallo conlangers!

On Friday 08 July 2011 14:42:52, And Rosta wrote:

> Jrg Rhiemeier, On 08/07/2011 13:31:
> > There are indeed infinitely many prime numbers,
>
> [...]
>
> > So in a prime-based number system, you can't just go by
> > multiplication, because for that you'd need infinitely many
> > basic numeral words.
>
> But you could have a system that generates infinitely many numeral words
> for primes; that is, the primes needn't be morphologically basic, even if
> they're mathematically basic. For example, each prime could be named "nth
> prime", where n is its ordinal position by magnitude, in the sequence
> <1,2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19...>. 19 would be Prime-9, or Prime-3*3 (~
> Prime-(Prime(3)*Prime(3))), or Prime-2+1^2, or whatever. The productive
> system of prime naming need only kick in above a certain threshold, so
> that everyday primes have a short simplex name.

Sure.  That would indeed work - but I think that is monstrously
inconvenient, especially regarding the recursive naming of higher
primes as "Prime(Prime(Prime(x)*Prime(y))*Prime(z))" etc.  It may
be something some computer-augmented "superpeople" could be able
to handle, but certainly not normal humans - I seriously do not
want to learn such a language!

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
"Bsel asa m, a m atha cvanthal a cvanth atha mel." - SiM 1:1