wow, this sounds pretty cool.  like one of those "make up a communal conlang
simultaneously" but more thought-out.

>  or collaboratively on line with a group of
> conlangers (or interested language users for that matter).

i've also always thought it would be cool if (maybe as a parallel project or
something) a whole group could start with one great mutual proto-language,
but then everyone involved evolve the language in a different direction (not
out of natural usage, as you suggest, though).  whoever were running this
project could make one initial split like the centum-satem dialects and then
everyone would sort of pick a side, and individual language families could
follow from there.  it would be pretty exciting in the end to compare them
all and see what's mutually intelligible (if anything).

matt