On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:35:52 -0400, Virginia Keys <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> >In Cho.ron:
> >
> >Nai Kawtshehp Idihnpaw Tuak
> >(You are a) Mind Marks-from That-are-mouth-of Perhaps?
> >You are a mind from whom language comes?
>
> [...]
>
> >Notes:
> >For "conlang" I used roughly "marks of the mouth."
> >I could have used just "marks/writing" or just "mouth" (which implies
> speech
> >and language), but knowing the scope of conlangs, neither seemed to
> suffice
> >alone.
> >It also seemed to fit because whether or not we actually speak our
> conlangs,
> >we generally write them down.
>
> Might that just not be interpreted as "do you create writing", in
> particular
> writing in an extant language?  That's an art much more commonplace than
> ours...
>
> Alex

Or maybe, "Are you a poet?"  Or "Are you able to speak?"  Or
metaphorically/idiomatically, "Are you an idiot?"  Is there something in the
Cho.ron culture to block those interpretations?  If I came across that
sentence in a translation relay, I'd have no idea which way to go.  It would
definitely be badger time!

Adam