On 20 July 2011 10:15, Karen Badham wrote:
> I work in a call center and have to talk to people over the phone all the
> time. The main sounds in English that are super hard to distinguish is s and
> f, and t and d. No matter how much I practice, s and f often sound exactly
> the same over a bad phone line.

I have also worked in call centres and s/f were my main problem.
Asking "is that ess for sierra or eff for foxtrot?" often didn't help
either, as most callers would say something like "no, it's sfsf
(crackle/hiss) for sfsfax" and I still wouldn't know if they were
talking about a jazz instrument or a device for sending documents.
Context didn't help because this was for things like choosing
usernames or registering domain names.

I would chose only one of /s/ or /f/ for a noise resistant phonology.
I also like the idea of category words.

Yuri