On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:30:01 -0500, Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:35:52 -0400, Virginia Keys <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In Cho.ron:
>> >
>> >Nai Kawtshehp Idihnpaw Tuak
>> >(You are a) Mind Marks-from That-are-mouth-of Perhaps?
>> >You are a mind from whom language comes?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> >Notes:
>> >For "conlang" I used roughly "marks of the mouth."
>> >I could have used just "marks/writing" or just "mouth" (which implies
>> speech
>> >and language), but knowing the scope of conlangs, neither seemed to
>> suffice
>> >alone.
>> >It also seemed to fit because whether or not we actually speak our
>> conlangs,
>> >we generally write them down.
>>
>> Might that just not be interpreted as "do you create writing", in
>> particular
>> writing in an extant language?  That's an art much more commonplace than
>> ours...
>>
>> Alex
>>

>Or maybe, "Are you a poet?"  Or "Are you able to speak?"  Or
>metaphorically/idiomatically, "Are you an idiot?"  Is there something in the
>Cho.ron culture to block those interpretations?  If I came across that
>sentence in a translation relay, I'd have no idea which way to go.  It would
>definitely be badger time!
>
>Adam

Hmm, good points.
I haven't really thought about metaphors much yet outside of ones that arise
from multiple meanings of a single word. Perhaps the differences are not big
enough, and perhaps I do need a new word for language. Part of the issue may
also be that the existing words for creation imply something about the
degree of completion to which something is made. But I do think I could use
one of those metaphors and say:

Loh Kay Duhmeht Tuak
Means-of-communication (is) Clay/variable (you)-with perhaps?
Language is clay with (you)?

Is this any clearer? Tell me what you think.

Loh
Language, means of communication

Kay
Clay, something variable/changeable/malleable

D-/Duh-
Null root, used if you want to attach a preposition to a pronoun as there
are no words for pronouns.

-meht
with

Tuak