Salvete glossopoei!

I have finished updating all the previous TAKE pages,

http://www.carolandray.plus.com/TAKE/index.html

and following pages.

The ancient Greeks had a fully satisfactory writing system
and felt no need to romanize in order to use letters most of
rest of the Roman empire used.  Indeed, the Greeks have
continued to resist romanization until the present day.
TAKE, which is basically "ancient Greek without inflexions"
does likewise.

Some may recall that the first version of TAKE used the
monotonic accent system of modern Greek and I made up a
scenario in which, in an alternative timeline, this made
sense. Recently I proposed to drop all accents as the real
ancient Greeks did; but the majority of those who responded
urged me to keep a modified version of the polytonic system
in which ancient Greek texts are normally printed.  This I
have done.

The other change from TAKE version #1, is that in the
earlier version I had extended the isolating principle to
word formation as well as morphology. This is more than
Peano did with 'Latino sine flexione'. I have abandoned this
(e.g. there are now separate forms for ordinal numbers),
the language is just without inflexions.

Enough of it has now been decided to offer a translation of
the Pater noster (Lord's Prayer). This is essentially a
TAKE-ized version of the New testament Greek - but see
notes below.

το  ἐξ  ἡμᾶς   Πατρό  το  ἐν το  οὐρανό·
/to eks hɛ'mas pat'ro to  en to  ura'no/
the of  us     father the in the heaven;

  ἴθι το  ἐκ σέ  ὀνόματο  ἁγίαζε·
/iθi to  ek se  o'nomato ha'giaze/
JUSS the of you name     hallow;

  ἴθι το  ἐκ σέ  βασιλεῖα   ἔρχε·
/iθi to  ek se  basi'lejja erxe/
JUSS the of you kingdom    come

  ἴθι το  ἐκ σέ  θελήματο  γένε,
/iθi to  ek se  θe'lɛmato gene/
JUSS the of you will      do,

  ὡς  ἐν οὐρανό, καἰ ἐπί  γῆ.
/hɔs en ura'no  kaj e'pi gɛ/
  as  in heaven  also on  earth.

  δῶ  το ἐξ  ἡμᾶς   ἄρτο  το  ἐπιούσιο
/dɔ  to eks hɛ'mas arto  to  epi'usio/
give the of us     bread the sufficient-for-the-day

        εἰς ἡμᾶς   σήμερον·
       /ejs hɛ'mas 'sɛmeron/
        to  us     today;

  και ἄφη     το  ἐξ  ἡμᾶς   παραπτώματο  εἰς ἡμᾶς,
/kaj 'afɛ    to  eks hɛ'mas parap'tɔmato ejs hɛ'mas/
  and forgive the of  us     trespass     to  us

  ὡς  καί ἡμᾶς    ἄφη     το  παραπτώματο
/hɔs kaj hɛ'mas 'afɛ     to  parap'tɔmato
  as also we      forgive the trespass

         εἰς το  ἐξ  ἡμᾶς   ὀφειλέτη·
        /ejs to  eks hɛ'mas ofej'letɛ/
         to  the of  us     debtor;

  και μη  εἴσφερε   ἡμᾶς   εἰς πειρασμό,
/kaj mɛ  ejsfere   hɛ'mas ejs pejras'mo/
  and not introduce us     to  trial,

  ἀλλά  ἔρυε  ἡμᾶς   ἀπό  το  πονηρό.
/al'la 'erye hɛ'mas a'po to  ponɛ'ro/
  but   deliver us   from the evil.

  ἀμήν.
/a'mɛn/
  amen.

NOTES:

[GRAMMAR]
The language grammatically isolating, hence the interlinear
is nearly all word for word translation. The only exception
is JUSS = "jussive particle."

Nouns do not inflect to show number, thus, e.g. ὀφειλέτη
/ofej'letɛ/ = debtor _or_ debtors.

Verbs are neutral as regards voice, which is shown by
syntax. A transitive verb without object arguments will be
taken to be passive in meaning; thus, ἁγίαζε /ha'giaze/ will
have the meaning "be hallowed" and γένε /gene/ "be done".

Both in ancient Greek and in TAKE "forgive" has a direct
and indirect object, i.e. you forgive something to someone,
thus "forgive our trespasses to us."

TAKE does not accent monosyllabic conjunctions, thus και
/kaj/ = "and"; but the adverb καί /kaj/ "also" does carry an
accent.

[THE TEXT]
The prayer is based on Matthew 6:9-13, but as it is
intended as a stand-alone prayer, the παραπτώματο
/parap'tɔmato/ "transgression, trespass" of verse 14 has
been substituted for the ὀφειλήματο /ofej'lɛmato/  "debt"
of verse 12.

In the 2nd half of verb 12 the Greek original just has an
indirect object, but in ΤΑΚΕ we shall need a direct object
also otherwise ἄφη could be taken as a passive.  Therefore,
παραπτώματο //parap'tɔmato/ has been repeated:
"as we forgive the trespass(es) [to] our debtor(s)", i.e.
those indebted or in some way bound to us.

ἀμήν /a'mɛn/ "amen" is not in the best Greek manuscripts
but would be added to a stand-alone prayer.

--
Ray
http://www.carolandray.plus.com
Nid rhy hen neb i ddysgu.