We don't have much of a problem in English, although a Texan and a Jordie
may not understand each other, at the extreme.

But many languages, like Arabic, have dialectal differences that impede
comprehension.  If you force people to write a standard written dialect,
many of them will have to learn a foreign language in order to read and
write, a huge impediment.  Better to give everyone the means to write their
own language; then those who want to use the standard dialect can learn both
its spoken and written forms.   (Chinese, in the same situation, abandons
the attempt to write sounds.)

In any case, learning any written language is easier if the orthography is
phonemic (assuming you already speak it).