Re "Macaronesian" - is this your invention? For an Avalon/Valinor? Where is
Macaronesia, and where are/were the languages spoken?

(Forgive the crude topposting: Android phones appear to make it de rigueur.)

,, And.

On 20 Jul 2011 16:35, "Jrg Rhiemeier" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hallo conlangers!

On Wednesday 20 July 2011 12:05:44, Nikolay Ivankov wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Alex...
I don't know.  I suspect, based on some phonologies I have seen,
that there is a weak tendency towards smallish phoneme inventories
in the tropics, and larger ones in higher latitudes and mountainous
areas, but probably nothing significant.  Most academic linguists,
to my knowledge, consider such hypotheses unwarranted.   We are
apparently dealing with a clich here.

That does not prevent one, of course, from inventing a conlang
landscape in which such generalizations hold true.  In my
Hesperic conlang family (to which Old Albic belongs), I have
(or will have; most of the languages currently only exist as
clouds of ideas) larger inventories, and also richer inflectional
paradigms, in the northern languages than in the southern ones.
(The family is meant to be spoken in Europe, thus on the northern
hemisphere.)  But even there, the correlation is not perfect:
Old Albic is one of the more northerly languages, and its
consonant inventory is not particularly rich (though its
inflectional morphology is).  Most of its daughters, though
(except the Macaronesian languages, which have moved far south),
have more consonants.

> 2) How can other type of environment affect the language (a Sci-Fi nation
> forced to use badly-d...
I have an idea in the back of my head of a conlang (a descendant
of Old Albic) with a phonology adapted to underwater speaking.
The project, however, is untackled yet; I haven't yet conducted
experiments regarding how well human speech works underwater
(it certainly doesn't work well).

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
"Bsel asa m, a m atha cvanthal a cvanth atha mel." - SiM 1:1