Since we discuss alphabets and writing systems from time to time, and
since I just read a wonderful sentence in a wonderful book, I have a
translation challenge for everyone.

The sentence is from Lord Dunsany's The Charwoman's Shadow and it is
about the mysteries of reading (and writing):

"He taught the use of consonants, the reason of vowels, the way of the
downstrokes and the up; the time for capital letters, commas, and
colons; and why the 'j' is dotted, with many another mystery."

Now, Kēlen doesn't have capital letters, commas, or colons, and only
has 'j' in the romanization, so translating this, I came up with:

temme ē jaþēλi ien jakā ānen ansāorīki ien jaxūna ānen anrūēli ī xiēn
jē jāxīsse jīlke ī jāo ja la sūjatā ē jāo sūjōl ien jiēxa ānen jasēsi
ī jōrrisi ē jatatēn ien ñi jīlkena cē jaþārre ōrra ē jawāññerāñi jīþi
nā ī;

Which translates to:
He taught* the usage of consonants, the pattern of vowels, and
concerning the writing line and that which is above and that below;
the usefulness of dots and end-marks, and explained 'c' becoming
leaning, and many other mysteries also.

*taught is more literally he gave ideas.
I added half a dozen new words, and all the letters of the alphabet to
my local copy of my dictionary.

Anyone else?

Literal translations are okay, too.

--
Sylvia Sotomayor

The sooner I fall behind the more time I have to catch up.