On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 23:06, Sam Stutter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Also, don't some varieties of Irish English produce "th" as /tʰ/? Contrast "that" and "tat".

The "Irish pronunciation of th" characterisation I had heard was that
it was a dental stop (as opposed to the alveolar stop for /t/). But I
don't what "some varieties of Irish English" you are referring to.

Since UK English has no contrasting dental stops, they probably sound
like alveolar, hence "three" would sound like "tree" to a speaker from
England, even though such a speaker's "three" and "tree" would be
distinct.

> (This has always struck me as odd, AFAIK the Gaelic realisation of "th" is /h/ ("máthair"))

Huh? What has spelling got to do with it?

I'd think that if you're looking for accent influences, then
phonologies and phonotactics are a much greater influence than
spelling.

Unless you're one of the people that treat written speech as primary,
spoken speech as secondary?

Cheers,
Philip
--