On Jul 28, 2011, at 9◊17 AM, And Rosta wrote:

> The Art approach:
> * sees language as a natural and/or organically evolved entity, in which parole is as important as langue
> * is akin to the impulse to make miniature models of the natural or cultural world -- to subcreate versions of reality
> * is comparable to the invention of physical geographies, or imaginary actually inhabited towns
> * creates a fictional entity

If I may echo and expand upon something Jörg said in response to this comment: What you describe is a naturalistic language, which *can* be a *type* of artlang; it should not be (and, indeed, is not) the definition of the Art approach. If we compared this to painting, this would cover the Hudson River School and the French realists (and portrait painting), but would exclude all other painting (abstract, cubist, surrealist, pop, etc.). That's but a small slice of possible paintings, and, likewise, it's a small slice of possible artistic conlangs. (I think Jesse Bangs describing this approach as the naturalist *school* was quite appropriate.)

The problem is we simply haven't seen many (or any) conlangs that have been created to realize (or respond to) a specific set of aesthetic criteria. There are personal languages, where, essentially, the conlanger is trying to create what they like (which tends not to be idiosyncratic), and then there are the naturalist languages, and these have been the two types of languages relegated to the artlang bin—and that, I think, is mainly to do with the design goals of the creator. That is, there haven't been any naturalistic languages *not* created for artistic purposes (that I know of…? E.g. a fully fleshed-out, authentic and believably irregular new IE language which was created, for example, for a specific subset of people to speak [day-to-day] somewhere in Europe), or any philosophical or engineered languages created specifically *for* artistic purposes. The closest I can think of would be Glide. While I think the creator would probably treat it as a philosophical language, I'd call Glide an artlang—and there's certainly nothing naturalistic or fictional about it. Its reason for existing is to achieve a kind of aesthetic goal, and so it exists.

There are artistic possibilities that exist for conlangs that haven't even been conceived of; we've barely scratched the surface.

David Peterson
LCS President
www.conlang.org