On 28 Jul 2011, at 22:42, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> Michael wrote:
> "Hearing involves perception and organization."
>
> I stand corrected, though I find, though I find the distinction between the
> physical act of hearing the sound, and the mind's interpretation of it,
> useful, especially in the context of phones and phonemes.

There is no "physical act of hearing the sound". There are vibrations caused by sound waves on the tympanum, carried up through nerves. But unless consciousness perceives it, it can hardly be said to be "heard". The vibrations are physical, but without perception, where is the hearing?

A cat will sleep through explosions on TV, but wake to the sound of a tin opener opening the tuna. Does it hear the explosions? It appears that it just dumps that data. Without perception, is there hearing?