Whether I have misnamed the gait shouldn't affect your (dis)like of it!
How about if I explain that the Abjad gait is so named because it's intended
to be used for languages that now use abjads?  Or we can call it the
"cursive gait with unattached vowels".

I believe that Urdu is written in the Arabic abjad with obligatory vowels,
so perhaps it should be called the Arabic alphabet then.    I think Farsi
doesn't usually write vowels, and thus has many homonyms (homographs).
 Wikipedia's article on abjads mentions that most of them are "impure", i.e.
they contain symbols for some vowels.  And again, if the vowels aren't
needed for Arabic, I expect they won't be written.  But it's not worth
arguing about the name of the gait.

For me, a far more telling criticism of Shwa's abjad gait is that I tried
and failed to develop one that more resembles Nastaʿlīq, with excursions
around a central line (but without dots, and left-to-right).  And I couldn't
come up with one - Shwa's top+bottom letters militate for a modified zigzag.
 So I chose one that more evokes, at least to my eye, Islamic geometric art,
of which I am an admirer.  But while it is cursive (and yes, I understand
cursive and abjad are disjoint concepts), it is far from calligraphic.
 Perhaps one of you could succeed where I failed.