On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 7:12 AM, MorphemeAddict <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  This is the case with modern sign languages. They have no common written
> form (e.g., SignWriting and Stokoe notation haven't caught on in any
> significant way), so their 'speakers' use the written form of the major
> (spoken) natlangs of their region.
>
> stevo

That's not universally true, AIUI. I believe that Catalan Sign is being
fairly regularly written using SignWriting, producing magazines and such.  I
have spoken with people involved in the literacy program.  And I seem to
recal the Nicaraguan Sign is also somewhat regularly written in
SignWriting.  I'm not aware of any signed language that is regularly usinf
Stoke for it's written form, but then there are so many signed languages,
who could keep track!

Adam