> 50 scholars? The Digital Humanities Summer Institute alone trains dozens of
> encoders every year. In the room where I'm sitting right now there are five
> people working on XML texts (different projects), and this is the summer
> when most of our folks are away. I have no idea how many people actually use
> TEI, or how we could know, but it certainly isn't 50.

I'm using TEI this week, but not as a locus for intentionally
provocative textual interpretation.  I think most come to TEI with the
end goal of either presentation or perhaps corpus-wide searching in
mind.  I doubt there are even 50 people who are encoding in TEI as a
deliberately chosen form of literary criticism (except, perhaps, for
students in classes where it's part of an assignment).  I use TEI
because I like the goal (I thought the organization had) of a
standardized vocabulary for semantic markup.  If this is not a primary
goal of the initiative, then I have no use for it anymore (But I might
keep the bulk of its vocabulary).

Doug