This reminds me of the story of Hercules and Antaeus, the giant who gained
his strength from the earth and who could not be overcome as long as he
had intermittent contact with it. Hercules defeated him by lifting him off
the earth altogether and into the "cloud" until he weakened and died.

My hunch is that human communication benefits from an "Antaeus principle":
return to the earth or face to face from time to time and more rather than
less often. Virtual many-to-many communication, whether video chat,
teleconferencing, or whatever other technology there may, is a dicey
enterprise even for people who speak the same language unless it is
grounded in a habit of quite literally staying in touch.