These are very interesting examples.  Rather than distinguishing between
them one might recognize what they have in common: they are marginalia,
put in the same field of vision by the author or printer, who does not
care about the precision of the visual link as long as it can be
"eyeballed" by the reader. The most precise way of rendering the
relationship between text and marginal gloss would be to recognize its
fundamental lack of precision. The  marginal note says something like "I'm
close enough to let the reader figure out why am I here and what I am
doing."  Should the encoding try to do more?

In that case <note place="margin"> would work for all of them, and
wrapping the dates in a date element would tell the machine what any human
reader would know or figure out.

The subject of this thread, combined with picture, would make a nice
addition to the Guidelines, but the Guidelines actually do quite a nice
job explaining marginal notes, although the example from the Ancient
Mariner means more to a reader who knows the poem and knows that Coleridge
is playing with a genre of marginal annotation that by his time was
'ancient'.

The historian of print will note that marginal glosses have come back,e.g.
in the the Landmark Thucydides, perhaps under the influence of the Web.