On 29/08/11 03:32, Martin Mueller wrote:
> My hunch is that human communication benefits from an "Antaeus principle":
> return to the earth or face to face from time to time and more rather than
> less often. Virtual many-to-many communication, whether video chat,
> teleconferencing, or whatever other technology there may, is a dicey
> enterprise even for people who speak the same language unless it is
> grounded in a habit of quite literally staying in touch.

My hunch is different.

My hunch is that what is needed is out-of-band communication, so that
when one person 'has the floor' (whether physically, by audio
conference, video conference or text chat) they have feedback from the
other participants as to how their message is being received (and to all
for graceful interjections).

Body language is a highly evolved and natural form of feedback, but
other forms are possible. Use of twitter in conferences is a topical
example.

Additionally, I frequently find technical meetings more productive when
some participants have access to a web browser (to follow references,
check facts etc).

cheers
stuart
--