LibreOffice has just released a recent version (3.3) which allows for 1
million rows in a spreadsheet, so it might be worth trying that instead
of Excel. It can also save to XML, and if you use the FODS file format,
you'll get a single XML file which is easier to process than the zipped
package which constitutes an ODS file.

Cheers,
Martin

--