On 11-08-21 06:22 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I have to start with the caveat that however this question is resolved I
> won't be attending any TEI face to face meetings. It isn't for lack of
> wanting to attend but other issues that prevent my traveling.
>
> The issue of travel cost is always an issue, now perhaps more than others.
>
> My suggestion would be that TEI member meetings be held at locations
> with major international air ports. As I recall from the TEI meetings I
> have attended, a rather large classroom would suffice for the meetings.
> Surely we can find a university to sponsor a classroom for the length of
> a TEI meeting in such locations.
>
> With careful trip planning, the travel cost to reach major locations
> should be minimal.
>
> Oh, and the directors and council members should pay their own travel
> tabs. If we make the work of the TEI visible enough, see my first post,
> there should be no shortage of people with institutions that want to
> sponsor attendance to TEI meetings. Not to mention that the locations
> will look more like serious meeting locations.

Speaking as a Council member, there's no way my unit could finance my
travel to a TEI Council meeting. If this proposal were accepted, we
would have to expect that a significant number of Council members would
never be able to attend a face-to-face meeting. That may be what the
community prefers, of course, although having attended the April meeting
in Chicago I would say that we did more work in that three days than in
most of the rest of the year combined, and I learned a lot that enabled
me to be more effective after I got back.

I should also say that nowadays I hate travelling and do it as little as
possible; I don't view this sort of trip as a desirable junket. I just
found that the Chicago meeting was really worthwhile and helpful.

Cheers,
Martin