Dear Brett,

Thank you very much for your examples which have very much in common
with the problems we face in the manuscripts of Goethe's "Faust".
Let me start with the third example:
http://whitmanarchive.org/resources/sleepers/subst_example-loc.00354.010.jpg

I suppose that the words "approbation" and "rewards" had been written
down BEFORE Whitman wrote down "of the government ...".
If this is true, there are three wordings which compete from the
beginning (and not a wording that was unrivaled first and only then, as
a result of a later intervention, challenged by other wordings).

In cases like these we use:
<alt target="#nominations #approbation #rewards" mode="excl"/>
<seg xml:id="nominations">nominations</seg>
<seg xml:id="approbation">approbation</seg>
<seg xml:id="rewards">rewards</seg>
I would be really glad to have opinions about this solution from the
community.

Many thanks,

Gerrit

Yes, there is something in the encoding model for genetic editions
(http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw19.html#index.xml-body.1_div.3_div.2_div.4,
referring to this
http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Encoding_Positions_and_Items#Possible_approaches).