On 11-08-26 06:13 AM, Doug Reside wrote:
> This is precisely why tool development should be so central to the
> TEI.  Until the community _as a whole_ tries to use the markup, we
> won't know the best way to encode.
>
> I've been irritated by text nodes that come from an editor rather than
> the source before, but I agree that placing this sort of text in
> attributes is probably not the way to do this either.  I like the
> namespacing idea, as it means I can first process out anything in the
> editorial namespace before doing indexing or any other sort of
> processing.  However, I wonder if leaving such editorial commentary to
> standoff annotations indexed by xpath isn't a better solution.

You still have to put something in the text to anchor the annotations
to. For instance, if you want to do this:

  ...blah di blah blah<note>This is rubbish (Ed.)</note> blah di blah

then you have to introduce something like this:

  ...blah di blah blah<anchor xml:id="ed_note_1"/> blah di blah

to anchor your external annotation to. So once again we have elements
which don't contain original source text (although in this case the
element is empty).

Cheers,
Martin

--