My second thought is to describe these in an autonomous document. It is for sure no metadata, since it brings in a lot of additional information to what is actually in the encoded documents. The back is practical, when there is no risk of duplicating the information and the meaning is really for me that of complementary information, as compared to the actual body.
Still, your point about the similarity with scribe description is relevant.

Le 16 août 2011 à 16:24, Torsten Schassan a écrit :

> Gabby,
>
>> Where do you (in your own local usage) place, within a TEI document, a
>> prosopography (listPerson) that is neither a castList nor a participants
>> description (particDesc), nor a list of scribes in the manuscript etc.;
>> or a gazetteer (listPlace) that is not a setting description for your
>> document; or a listNym, listOrg, listEvent? In other words, if the list*
>> is serving as a vocabulary or external table to your digital corpus,
>> rather than a manuscript description or catalogue metadata.
>
> we place those (typically listPerson, listOrg, and listPlace) where it is allowed: in <souceDesc>.
>

>> My instinct is that such a list doesn't belong in the teiHeader, but
>> perhaps in the tei:body or tei:back of a text, depending on the
>> structure of the edition being created.
>
> Why does your instinct allow you to put the lists -which are *not* part of the corpus itself (your emphasis) but external to it- in a place that is part of the text, e.g. back?
>
> I would argue that these lists are external indeed, thus metadata and thus belong in the teiHeader.
>
> Why should your prosopography be any different from a list of scribes? It serves the same needs, storing more info about entities that are references/used in the text itself?!
>
> Best, Torsten
>

> --
> Torsten Schassan
> Digitale Editionen
> Abteilung Handschriften und Sondersammlungen
> Herzog August Bibliothek, Postfach 1364, D-38299 Wolfenbuettel
> Tel.: +49-5331-808-130 (Fax -165), schassan {at} hab.de
>
> http://www.hab.de/forschung/projekte/europeana-regia.htm
> http://www.hab.de/forschung/projekte/weiss64.htm

Laurent Romary
INRIA & HUB-IDSL